2012-08-10

*** Sidewalk Weekend! ***

Sidewalk Rating: Ideal Conditions

I take a walk in a town seen then for the first time. At every street corner I hesitate, uncertain where I am going. I am in doubt; and I mean by this that alternatives are offered to my body, that my movement as a whole is discontinuous, that there is nothing in one attitude which foretells and prepares future attitudes. Later, after prolonged sojourn in the town, I shall go about it mechanically, without having any distinct perception of the objects which I am passing.
[Henri Bergson, Matter and Memory.]

[Sitting on a bus bumper facade in downtown Minneapolis.]


*** CLICK ON IMAGES FOR LINKS ***



*** ***
*** ***

*** ***


*** ***



*** ***


*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***


*** ***
7. Pana Po’o (Hawaiian) 
“Hmm, now where did I leave those keys?” he said, pana po’oing. It means to scratch your head in order to help you remember something you’ve forgotten.

Read the full text here: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/94828#ixzz23AB8lVxP 
--brought to you by mental_floss! 

[This.]

*** ***



*** ***



*** ***

You tend to see the same characters every day. I suspect they all use each other's signs. "Stranded," one says, and nothing else. There's the standard, "Homeless. Please Help. God Bless." And: "Homeless Veteran. God Bless America."

I also saw this virtuous variant last week: "I'M JUST TRYING TO GET BACK ON MY FEET!"

"Three Children In Texas" seemed to strike an odd note, and I was uncertain whether the appropriate reaction was sympathy or scorn. I do feel sympathy, or rather compassion, for all of them, especially now that there seem to be more of them every day. My rule of thumb is that if one of them catches me at a red light I give him a buck. I know there are those who find this foolhardy and even irresponsible for all sorts of reasons, some of which I can understand.  Still, the recipients of my token offerings have always been unfailingly polite.

[Zellar.]

*** ***


*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***


*** ***




*** ***



*** ***



*** ***
*** ***



*** ***



*** ***


No comments: