2013-09-20

*** Sidewalk Weekend! ***

Sidewalk Rating: Poignant 
-->
If we had a keen vision and feeling for all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel’s heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence. As it is, the quickest of us walk about well wadded with stupidity.

[George Eliot, Middlemarch.]

[Pale green bench with American flag in Powderhorn.]




*** CLICK ON IMAGES FOR LINKS ***



*** ***

*** ***

But the biggest surprise was how expensive it was to move around. Commuting using the local transportation that most poor people rely on ate up almost half of the family’s $300 budget for the month.
“It was really an eye-opener,” Mr. Hewitt said. “People need to realize that if they are paying minimum wage, a huge portion of that is going to transport.”
[this.]

*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***

“If I see some bad-ass dude walking up toward me, I don’t put on my gang face, I don’t try to look tough,” he said. “In fact, I do the opposite. I seek to make eye contact, and as soon as they look at me I say, ‘Hey, buddy, how ya doin’?’ ” People laugh and say things like “O.K., pops.”

[this.] 

*** ***




*** ***



*** ***




*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***

 *** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***




*** ***



*** ***




*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***

*** ***



*** ***

fact: I hate to break this to you, but skipping is actually not faster than running. It is slower. Scientists have done tests to prove this. The problem involves the added friction of the soles of the feet in the characteristic skipping motion. I know your own skipping is “special” skipping, with that extra hop that you have added in, but otherwise it is physically the same as conventional, ordinary skipping, and subject to the same laws.

[this.] 

*** ***


*** ***



*** ***



*** ***

*** ***

*** ***



*** ***



*** ***


*** ***

*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***





No comments: