2019-08-27

Notable Quotes #19: Fred Kent on Minneapolis Skyways, c. 1986

Skywalks should be severely limited, and if I had my way, I'd tear them down.

I can't believe how internalized this city had gotten. You want to reinforce Nicollet as a main street, but if you put in more skyways, no one's going to be on Nicollet.

I'd feel like an undesirable waiting for a bus in your city. I don't think there's one piece of furniture on the Nicollet Mall that should remain, and there's not a building on the Nicollet Mall that does not need to be redone.

Your buildings are not related to the street; they're monuments to the architects who built them.

You have one popcorn stand; that's sort of your token vendor. Any how about newsstands instead of those crazy news boxes?

The city is void of interests for people to come downtown, except as a place to work .... It's a business community, not a family place.

[Fred Kent is an urban designer and public space designer who visited downtown Minneapolis in 1986 to provide feedback on the downtown streetscape. Here are the highlights from his visit, where he told downtown leaders what he really thought.]


No comments: