2019-10-10

14th Bloggaversary Post!

I started this blog on October 10th, 2005, which is 14 years ago today. So congrats to me for being really old at this point, especially for the internet!

This site started as a local urbanism news aggregator and commentary, but evolved through the years the online media landscape has changed.  Twitter, in particular, has filled a lot of the news aggregation role, but that still leaves this blog as a great platform for sharing other things like photos, commentary, and Highland Villager recaps. 

And, there's always occasional actual reporting-type-stuff. Why just the other day I was going past the University Avenue Target store in Saint Paul and recalling that, "oh yeah", that was one of my first stories where I actually attended a community meeting and "reported" on it. As the story went: in exchange for their new larger store set far back from the street, Target promised to build retail buildings along University Avenue in their giant parking lot. The quote from the piece was:
The new SuperTarget will be set back along I-94, and they're going to build actual streetfront, human-scale buildings along University Avenue. Like, with windows and everything. 

Ha! That was almost 14 years ago and has not happened.  But it is a good example of the passage of time, alas. I have learned much about the pace of change since those early days, and very little of that knowledge is encouraging.

This is all to say that this blog is still going, 14 years later. Soon it will be old enough to get a learners' permit, borrow its parents' car, and start speeding past elementary schools and buzzing bicyclists.

Once a year, on my bloggaversary, I pass the hat around. If you appreciate this largely thankless marginal website, please support my marginal existence and throw some dollars my way.

Become a Patreon supporter
Paypal to blindeke@gmail.com
Venmo to @bill-lindeke
Buy something in my online store

Even $5 or $10 would be a lovely gesture. Thanks in advance, and thanks for reading this blog!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Extraordinary article with astounding idea!Thank you for such a significant article. I truly acknowledge for this awesome data. If you're looking for the best Things to do in the world, this list has something for everybody! From adventure to culture, food to history .