2012-06-08

*** Sidewalk Weekend! ***

Sidewalk Rating: Simmering

When I crossed the street and entered the small alley opposite, it was as though the entire world had fallen away. I was strangely comforted to find myself alone in this way in the heart of the city. The alley, no one’s preferred route to any destination, was all brick walls and shut-up doors, across which shadows fell as crisply as in an engraving. Ahead of me was a great black building. The surface of its half-visible tower was matte, a light-absorbing black like that of cloth, and its sharp geometry made it look like a freestanding shadow or cardboard cutout. I walked under some scaffolding in the alley and, from Thames Street, crossed Greenwich, and came to Albany, from which I saw the tower more clearly, although still at some distance. It was completely veiled in a densely woven black net. Where that narrow, quiet street met Washington, I saw to my right, about a block north of where I stood, a great empty space. I immediately thought of the obvious but, equally quickly, put the idea out of my mind.

[Teju Cole, Open City.]

  [Nicerides in St Paul.]


*** CLICK ON IMAGES FOR LINKS ***



*** ***


*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***

*** ***


*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***
*** ***
*** ***



*** ***



*** ***



*** ***
*** ***


1 comment:

Alex said...

It seems to me that a newspaper in the USA that published that Revolution of Capitalism essay would face a similar response to a newspaper in the Middle East that published cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed.