2015-11-17

Great Small Shops #1: Practical Goods

[The winter corner.]
Wendy, who runs the Practical Goods Thrift Shop in downtown Saint Paul's JAX Building, will refuse to sell you a polyester-blend bandanna. She won't do it, and doesn't carry them. If you have one, she'll probably try to talk it out of your hands. They can give you a rash and aren't absorbent.

The same goes for certain kinds of pots and pans, sub-par fabrics, furniture that easily breaks. Practical Goods is the anti-Walmart, a place where nothing is disposable. Instead, Wendy curates her store with the eye of an engineer, and can recite with gentle aplomb details about the invention of the pressure cooker or the proper care of wooden spoons.

(I picture a store called Impractical Goods full of Wendy's rejects: non-QWERTY typewriters, left-handed scissors, fondue sets, tiny magnifying glasses.)

I first discovered Practical Goods at its old location on Saint Clair Avenue, when a rainbow array of porcelain pots glittered through the windowpane. In the almost mystic entryway, I recall grinning as Wendy answered a small question with her reply outlining a philosophy of stuff. With a rich description of its properties, she talked me into trying a cast aluminum skillet. And Wendy was right, it's magnificent, especially for cooking perfect tortillas. I've since gone back in times of need to find useful things: a potato masher, a hand-crank coffee grinder, a corn pot, spoons, tweed, a butter dish, a linen shirt.

[The old Saint Clair storefront.]

[Bandanna parabola, hats, overalls, wooden furniture.]

[Wendy, bottom left corner, discussing material culture with a customer.]

[Tweed rack.]
Every time climbing the metal stairs to the 3rd Floor of the JAX building, finding the hallway lined with bright shirts, Wendy has been waiting with her cats and her knitting needles like a Buddha of thrift under her white bun. I might play the piano or discuss Renaissance food. That said, it doesn't hurt to call ahead.

Of course, it's all about to end. Just like her earlier shop, Wendy is due to lose her lease as the JAX Building, home to a bounty of artist studios, has been sold. It wasn't hard to see it coming. The building is both run-down and beautiful, and directly adjacent to the sparklingly restored Union Depot train station and the light rail terminus.

When she had to pack up her store the first time, you could feel the dread descend. A store like Practical Goods does not fall lightly into place. Wendy does nothing without great care, and putting everything into a storage pod must be like a trauma.

Get there while you can. Find your material needs and bring questions. You will not leave empty handed.

[Candles on a grand piano.]

["Home is where the cat is."]

[Roller skates.]

[Blue, green, and orange glass objects before a wall of denim.]

2 comments:

grace said...

I’m recommending Dr Godday to everyone who have herpes virus to get the cure from him. I was diagnose of genital herpes in 2015 and i have been searching and asking questions to see if i could get something to cure the disease because i did not believe what the doctors say that no cure is found yet. I came across a comment on Youtube and the person testify how she was cured from herpes and hpv after using Dr Godday herbal medicine. I quickly contact Dr email and explain my problem to him and he prepare the herbs and send it to me through courier and gave me instructions on how to use it and tell me to go for checkup after usage which i did after two weeks of taken the herbal medicine and my result was NEGATIVE. I waited another month and retested the result was still NEGATIVE and my doctor told me that am completely free from herpes. Am so happy and grateful to Dr Godday for what he has done for me and i will continue to share this for people out there to know that there is cure for herpes. You can contact Dr Godday on email and WhatsApp to get the cure from him. Email:goddayspiritualhome@gmail.com Or Call/What’s-app +1{919}4956404.

Anonymous said...

HOW I GOT PREGNANT..I have been married for 10 years without any child . My Fallopian tubes were blocked. I tried everything possible to get pregnant and nothing was working. I visited so many hospital's my problem never seems to end. I lost hope and felt depressed. One faithful day I started checking online on how to get pregnant in the comment section and people were testifying about how they got results after they used Dr Benson herbs, I was surprised about the testimony and decided to talk with him about my own issue. After explaining to him he said I have to purchase some medication from him after getting this medication I became pregnant and gave birth. If you want to talk to Dr Benson contact him on Email address: inddocc2@gmail.com