2021-10-18

Mayor Carter's Complete Mayoral Debate Statement on Rent Control

[Ffwd to about 38:00 for Carter's rent stabilization comments.]

I didn't transcribe this during my exegesis of Mayor Carter's rent control tweets, but for those that don't want to fish through the Youtube debate (which is understandable, as Bill Hosko was on the stage). So here you go:

I have almost two decades of a policy policy, decision-making experience and one of the things that every policy I’ve ever written has in common is that the first draft needed revisions. And I think that is one of the limitations of policy making through referendum, is that we sort of lock in a first draft. This proposal in front of us is absolutely a start, and there are some very clear challenges with regards to the equity of our housing market that must be addressed with urgency. We must address those things. 

I am going to be voting 'yes' on the rent stabilization proposal, not because it's perfect, but because it's a start. And our housing and our equity goals simply cannot wait another day. They are just too urgent. 

I do believe there are concerns with reference to the impact on potential new housing starts, in a time when population is growing so fast, because our city is that vibrant place that Mr. Frost was talking about, that people want to live in, that recognize that high quality in life that we have here. It’s a must for us to be able to build the new housing that we need to accommodate our rapidly growing population. And I think it’s necessary for all of us, whether this proposal passes or fails on the ballot, it’s going to be necessary for all of us to look at this as a start, and not and end, to the conversation, and all come together in a conversation about how do we want this policy, in the long term for our city, in a way that builds us toward our goals that we have. 

I don't see anything in there that contradicts what I took away from the earlier Mayoral tweets...

No comments: