2020-08-06

Three Things the Media Misses about the Charter Commission Debate

[Yesterday's Strib headline.]
The goal of good journalism is to, first, say what happened and, second, provide context for understanding it. I've been frustrated lately with how accounts of the referendum debate have described the situation in Minneapolis. I'm going to use two Star Tribune articles about the Charter Commission debate to explain why.

First off, I am a Star Tribune subscriber and will continue to be one. Despite my disagreements with their Editorial Page, I think everyone who values journalism in the Twin Cities should subscribe. It's one of the best newspapers in the country and, especially at a moment when journalism is in crisis, we're lucky to have it in Minneapolis. 

That said, I've been disappointed with the paper's coverage of the aftermath of the George Floyd murder, protests, and debate about police reform. The latest examples have been the coverage of the Charter Commission debate. I'll use two stories -- one from July 28th and one from yesterday, August 5th -- to illustrate. 

Here are three things newspaper accounts are missing about the debate:


1. Reporters are ignoring the 12-0 unanimous vote

This is an big omission. Neither of the Star Tribune articles mentions the unanimous resolution by the Minneapolis City Council to put the ordinance on the ballot. Instead, both articles mention the “five council members” when describing the ballot question. 

In a "weak mayor" city like Minneapolis, a unanimous vote by the City Council is a big deal, and that kind of support is a key piece of context. While every Council Member might not have supported the ballot question, they all supported getting it on the ballot. Readers of these articles would not even know that the ballot question passed unanimously.


2. The term “controversial" 

Both Star Tribune articles describe the ballot question as "controversial", even putting the term in yesterday's headline. 

That loaded term begs the questions: Controversial in what way? Who or what is controversial here? Controversial for  whom? 

There's certainly a lot of controversy to go around in Minneapolis these days! In my opinion, the most controversial thing in Minneapolis this summer has been the Minneapolis Police Department as a whole, and their police union and head Bob Kroll, in particular. The existing department is so controversial, it incited some of the largest demonstrations and worst public violence in city history. In fact, the Minneapolis Police Department is so controversial, people protested their actions in dozens of countries  around the world for weeks. 

It's certainly debatable whether a ballot measure that received the unanimous support of the City Council is controversial. My reading of the situation is that the only reason the ordinance is "controversial" is that the Mayor and his appointed Police Chief are opposing it. A better framing of this issue would be to describe the rift between the Council and the Mayor's Office, which are on opposite sites of this debate. That's the controversy, and its a political one.  

Beyond that, whether or not the ordinance is controversial seems a matter of opinion. Needless to say, there's a very high bar for what is deemed controversial these days. 


3. The pieces do not accurately sum up the public comment

Both articles take a "both sides" approach to the public comment received by the Charter Commission, which is fine to a degree. But accounts should also make clear the overwhelming support for the ballot question they received during their public hearings. 

John, at Wedge Live, has been keeping close track of the public engagement and testimony, and if we are to give any weight to the public engagement that occurred over the last few weeks, accounts should make note of the strong support for putting the Council's proposal on the ballot.


[IMO, the AP does a better job of framing the story, but still leaves out key context.]


I certainly have other gripes with the reporting, in both the Star Tribune and elsewhere. I'd like more information about the Charter Commission, particularly about its theoretical and de facto roles in Minneapolis politics. I'd like to see more context about ongoing structural problems between the Minneapolis Police Department, their union, and City Hall. I'd also like to see all these debates placed within the larger framework of George Floyd's murder and ongoing police killings [e.g. the AP tweet at right]. I think this context is critical to understanding the story.

To be sure, this issue is complex, wide-ranging, and abundant with in-the-weeds details. Covering this the political debate around the Minneapolis Police Department is a challenging task. 

But at the very least, it's obligation of our journalists to put this debate in the context of structural issues around controlling and changing the Minneapolis Police Department. I wish we could turn to journalists and more easily learn the full story of what's going on, and the fact that the best coverage of this story has been from the Wedge Times-Picayune is both frustrating and delightful. 

It sure would be nice to have an election that allowed people to decide for themselves the future direction of the Minneapolis Police Department. The real controversy here is that a unanimous vote by the city's highest elected body was filibustered by a group of unaccountable volunteer commissioners.

9 comments:

obodubu said...

Dr. Obodubu Monday is recognised all over the world of marine kingdom, As one of the top fortunate and most powerful native doctor of charms casts from the beginning of his ancestors ship until now Dr. Obodubu Monday lives strong among all other native doctors, there have never been any form of impossibility beyond the control of Dr. Obodubu Monday it doesn't matter the distance of the person with the problems or situation, all you have to do is believe in the native doctor Dr. Obodubu Monday cast that works, he always warns never to get his charms cast if you do not believe or unable to follow his instruction. it is the assignment of the native doctor Dr. Obodubu Monday to offer services to those in need of spiritual assistance not minding the gravity of your situations or distance as long as water, sea, ocean, lake, river, sand, etc. are near you, then your problems of life would be controlled under your foot. if you need any spiritual help on any of these call Doctor Obodubu on :+2349058774809
Get Your Love Back
Fruit Of The Womb
Fibroid
Business Boom
Financial Breakthrough
Get Rich Without Ritual
Do As I Say
Bad Dream
Promise And Fail
Epilepsy
Land/Court Case
Mental Disorder
Political Appointment
Visa Approval
Cancer
Examination Success
Spend And Get Back
Good Luck
Natural Neath
Hypertension
Stroke
Sickle cell
Impotency
Win Court case
Promotion At Work
Commanding Tone
Protection Ring
Marriage Success
Love Ring
Favour Ring
Recover Lost Glory
Spiritual Power For Men Of God
Travel Success Ring
Job Success
Lotto/Pool Win/betnaija win
And Many
More make haste to call or Or WhatApp Baba Doctor Obodubu Monday on +2349058774809 for spiritual problem today and you will surely get solution to all your predicament

Amy Kendral said...

Definitely and totally cured of herpes virus by Doctor Razor's Quick cure for Herpes. My Sincere Gratitude to Dr Razor, I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2 November 13 2018, I went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, I was confused because the medical drugs has become my daily food, but i decided to sort after Natural Herbs. One day I sat beside the pool, Browsing and thinking where I could get a solution to end this predicament. I saw a blog on how Dr Razor cured people with his herbal medicine, i did not believe but i just decided to give him a try, Visit Doctor's Razor Website : https://herbalistrazorherb.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome . I contacted him and he prepared the herbs for me which I took, and he instructed me to go for a check up, after the test i was confirmed with herpes negative, i am so happy. If you have any problem or you are also infected with any disease, kindly contact him now with his Email: drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp/call +2349065420442, This testimonial serves as an expression of my gratitude.He also have a herbal cure for COLD SORE,SHINGLES,CANCER(Cannabis Oil),HPV,ASTHMA,IMPOTENCE,BARENESS/INFERTILITY ..Contact him on this email: drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com , or Whatsapp/call his cell phone number on +2349065420442

Amy Kendral said...

Definitely and totally cured of herpes virus by Doctor Razor's Quick cure for Herpes. My Sincere Gratitude to Dr Razor, I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2 November 13 2018, I went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, I was confused because the medical drugs has become my daily food, but i decided to sort after Natural Herbs. One day I sat beside the pool, Browsing and thinking where I could get a solution to end this predicament. I saw a blog on how Dr Razor cured people with his herbal medicine, i did not believe but i just decided to give him a try, Visit Doctor's Razor Website : https://herbalistrazorherb.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome . I contacted him and he prepared the herbs for me which I took, and he instructed me to go for a check up, after the test i was confirmed with herpes negative, i am so happy. If you have any problem or you are also infected with any disease, kindly contact him now with his Email: drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp/call +2349065420442, This testimonial serves as an expression of my gratitude.He also have a herbal cure for COLD SORE,SHINGLES,CANCER(Cannabis Oil),HPV,ASTHMA,IMPOTENCE,BARENESS/INFERTILITY ..Contact him on this email: drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com , or Whatsapp/call his cell phone number on +2349065420442

Julie Knox said...

NATURAL HERBAL REMEDY FOR HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 CURE BY Dr Lucky I'm very excited to inform everyone that I'm completely cured from my Herpes simplex 2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it's really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured from my Herpes  with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system and I was tested negative after 14 days of using the herbal medicine. I'm here to let y'all know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr Lucky and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: drluckyherbalcure@gmail.comI pray for your private intentions to be answered as you also outreach him for health problems. Him Facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/pg/drluckyherbalcu/about/

Isabella Lucas said...

My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Dr Oduman he cure me of Herpes virus few weeks back.Dr Oduman treat and cure so many disease and virus with his herbal medicine.like kidney, HIV,hepatitis b ,cancer, fibroid.diabetic herpes infection.aids .enlargement prostate.low sperm count ,pregnant problem. all can of disease and virus e.t c..email. Dr Oduman via.(doctorodman836@gmail.com)contract him now on WhatsApp +2347041258702

No Name said...

Selling USA FRESH SPAMMED SSN Leads/Fullz, along with Driving License/ID Number with EXCELLENT connectivity.

**PRICE**
>>2$ FOR EACH LEAD/FULLZ/PROFILE
>>5$ FOR EACH PREMIUM LEAD/FULLZ/PROFILE

**DETAILS IN EACH LEAD/FULLZ**

->FULL NAME
->SSN
->DATE OF BIRTH
->DRIVING LICENSE NUMBER WITH EXPIRY DATE
->ADDRESS WITH ZIP
->PHONE NUMBER, EMAIL, I.P ADDRESS
->EMPLOYEE DETAILS
->REALTIONSHIP DETAILS
->MORTGAGE INFO
->BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS

>All Leads are Tested & Verified.
>Invalid info found, will be replaced.
>Serious buyers will be welcome & I will give discounts for bulk orders.
>Fresh spammed data of USA Credit Bureau
>Good credit Scores, 700 minimum scores
>Bulk order will be preferable
>Minimum order 20 leads/fullz
>Hope for the long term business
>You can asked for samples, specific states & zips (if needed)
>Payment mode BTC, PAYPAL & PERFECT MONEY

Email > leads.sellers1212@gmail.com
Telegram > @leadsupplier
ICQ > 752822040

''OTHER GADGETS PROVIDING''

>SSN Fullz
>Dead Fullz
>Carding Tutorials
>Hacking Tutorials
>SMTP Linux Root
>DUMPS with pins track 1 and 2
>Sock Tools
>Server I.P's
>USA emails with passwords (bulk order preferable)

**Contact 24/7**

Email > leads.sellers1212@gmail.com
Telegram > @leadsupplier
ICQ > 752822040

Leah Hart said...

i was diagnosis with hpv for 3 years, few months ago a friend introduced me to dr onokun and i only took his natural treatment for a week & 3 days, and i totally got cured with his herbal treatment. if you are suffering from hpv, you don't have to be roaming round dr onokun email is been attached to contact him on email:  dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or  facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/naturaltreatmentcenter1

Tim James said...


HOW DR AZIBA HELPED ME ENLARGE MY PENIS SIZE FROM 3.5 INCHES TO 11INCHES LONG AND 8.0 GROWTH WhatsAPP DR [ +2348100368288 ]
I got married 2 years ago and it just seemed that there was no excitement in my sex life. My dysfunction to perform to the best of my abilities in bed made it harder for my wife and me to have a good time during sex. And i was having the feelings that she may decide to get a divorce one day. I knew something had to be done in order to improve my sex life and to save my marriage because my marriage was already falling apart, so when i was on my Facebook page i came across a story of how Dr Aziba helped him enlarged his penis to 8ins better.so i Immediately copied the Email address of the Dr and explained to him my problem, he gave me some simply instruction which i must follow and i did easily and my friends Today, i am the happiest man on Earth, All Thanks to Dr Aziba for saving my marriage and making me a real man today. I asked him about some popular diseases like HERPES,HIV AIDS,HEPATITES,DIABETIS, CANCERS, WART, HPV etc.. which are affecting most people he said there is no disease without a cure, he has it all...You can as well reach the Dr below for help on your problem, for he has the solution to all...
Email:[ PRIESTAZIBASOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL COM ]
WhatsAPP DR [ +2348100368288 ]