2019-09-05

Sidewalk Poetry #63: Ayd Mill Road

Oh Ayd Mill Road
Why do you invest in "rough road" signs?
Why can't you just fix the road?
Oh Ayd Mill Road
How it pains me to travel your cracked and aged road
If you think it's bad in your all-wheel drive, try riding down in a
15-year-old metro mobility bus with no shock absorption
feeling everything,
my body vibrating,
teeth chattering,
my legs like Jell-O I can hardly stand.I have to peel my legs off the seat and stumble down the steps.
Please fix Ayd Mill Road
I've lived in Minnesota for 18 years and it has never been fixed, only
patched.
Earlier this winter a sign appeared on your construction cones asking
"Please fix this road!"
My dad and sister thought this was me, as angry as I get, when the
name Ayd Mill Road comes up in conversation.
If only there were another way to get home.
Oh Ayd Mill Road
Your name fills me with dread.
Though it's funny to hear the GPS pronounce your name "A-Y-D Mill Road"

[By Nicole Noblet, from the zine "Please Fix Ayd Mill Road", published by Cow Tipping Press and purchased at Boneshaker Books.]


[The bridge over Ayd Mill Road.]

No comments: