2011-06-17

*** Sidewalk Weekend! *** #58

Sidewalk Rating: Peak sunshine


The Porch Gnome is most often Italian, though he could also be Portuguese or Greek. Found mainly in urban neighborhoods that boast either the word "Little" before the name of a Mediterranean country or "town" after it, The Porch Gnome -- a deeply retired type -- can be spotted only from April through late September, which is when he takes up his perch on the porch. Significant attributes include the use of indoor furniture, such as upholstered brocade sofas, outdoors. In similar fashion, The Porch Gnome is fond of wearing undershirts as outerwear. May also display copious amounts of classical statuary or religious iconography on his front lawn.

[From Mireille Silcoff, Urban Animals: a comic field guide.]


[My mom playing an outdoor piano in downtown Saint Paul.]


*** CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR LINKS ***


*** ***


*** ***


*** ***


*** ***


*** ***

"As teenagers, they don't seem to have the capability to think about others. I have heard older women turning round and saying 'will you turn that down?' and sometimes they will… and other times I've heard them with abuse and swearing at other people."

[BBC article on playing music through your phone.]

*** ***



*** ***


*** ***


*** ***



*** ***


*** ***



*** ***


*** ***


*** ***




*** ***


*** ***


*** ***

[See this story.]
*** ***


*** ***

What inspired you to photograph women on bikes?

Mikael: It’s a part of my daily life. It is what I see when I ride to work or the supermarket. I am constantly amazed to see EVERYTHING about the bike culture here. Danish and European women just happen to be stylish. It’s elegant, it’s classy. It’s Europe. And, I’m a man. I enjoy looking at aesthetically pleasing women. If I lived in a forest, I’d probably take pictures of the nicest trees.

[Interview with Copenhagen Girls on Bikes founder.]

*** ***



*** ***


*** ***




*** ***


*** ***


*** ***


*** ***


*** ***




*** ***



*** ***


*** ***




*** ***


*** ***

No comments: